Monday, October 1, 2012

I think my head is about to explode

After reading, and rereading, about McLuhan's Hot or Cold medium I feel like I just ran circles in my brain. It filled me more with questions than understanding I guess. I understand, I think, the basic idea and agree that the theory does not find a solid place in our "high-definition" world the same way it may have fit with the times in which it was first developed, I wonder though if the very nature of any media being hot or cold is so closely determined by the person(s) who are experiencing(?) it that the very act of defining it is futile, or further the defining requires so much additional user interaction that it unavoidably becomes cool. I seriously am still a little dumbfounded by the essay, even after sleeping on it before writing this. I would appreciate a little more class discussion on this if we have the time, I wonder if I am the only one who feels that this one went right over their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment